Requirements from Agencies for working in the UK

Most Locum Agencies generally require from candidates the following documents:


Curriculum Vitae

CV in English. Many agencies often send a template to fill in but generally accept that you send when completed.


Medical Degree

Some Agencies often ask for a copy of your qualification, ie Title of doctor and specialist, but as you are already registered with the GMC this is usually accepted.



At least 2 references from your last job. Rest assured that the agencies will contact these people. They usually ask you to complete a short questionnaire about your suitability to work as a doctor.


GMC Certificate

A scanned Certificate of GMS and/or copy of the annual payment.


Criminal record in the UK

“DBS” for the past 12 months. DBS is the acronym of “Disclosure and Barring Service” which replaces the old CRB. This is the document of a criminal record in the UK. This procedure is normally the same which Agencies offer to do inyour name and is cobrartelo (not expensive). This is in advance or when working with them.


Passport/identity document

Passport or European identity or Visa and photo.


BLS Course (Basic Life Support)

Certificate of complete during BLS in the last 6 months. Should you don´t have it, the Agency will probably offer you to organize a course for you .


Blood test and Medial Questionnaire

Blood tests including serology for Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, HIV, “MMR” (Measles, Mumps and Rubella) and BCG. You have to complete and sign a form/medical questionnaire. On the tuberculosis vaccine (BCG), just include a certificate from the Occupational Health Department of your Hospital of your BCG scar seen.


Fulfill a form/Application

You have to complete and sign an application provided by the Agency..


Driver’s license

Many agencies also ask for a copy ( scanned online) of your license. This is because in many cases the Locum doctor, has cover shifts in more than one hospital.


Proff of home adress

For example 2 utility bills dated within the last 3 months.


Certificate of Liability

A Certificate of your liability insurance valid in the UK. If you do not have this, you should then complete and sign a document (“Disclaimer”) provided by the Agency stating that you do not have Indemnity Insurance, discharging them of responsibility.


Health questionnaires and Application form for agencies are similar to those which I include below: